Keep reading to discover if the 2019 Beautycon NYC Hauler bag was a huge hit or a major miss.
2019 Beautycon NYC Drama
If you follow me on Twitter, then you may have seen that there was drama surrounding the 2019 Beautycon NYC Hauler Bag. Specifically, people were highly disappointed at the 2019 Beautycon NYC Hauler Bag. First, the bag barely contained any product compared to previous years. Second, many of us actually received bags that were only half-full. Third, most of the products in the bag were haircare-oriented but were not inclusive to all hair types. For example, the products I received were intended for thicker, curlier hair.
Although Beautycon tried to rectify the latter issue, I still did not receive everything that my friend did. Also, others were so disappointed that they didn’t come back to swap out their bag. Some children and teens at the event were *literally* brought to tears.
Nevertheless, between the hauler bag, the free samples from exhibiting brands, and the purchases I made, I actually came home with a ton of products!
2019 Beautycon NYC Hauler Bag
The below products are items that I received in my Beautycon 2019 Hauler Bag. Overall, I received mostly haircare and skincare products. Also, very little makeup came in this year’s bag.
- Aveda*: Travel Size Cherry Almond Softening Shampoo ($9.00)
- Aveda*:Â Travel Size Cherry Almond Softening Conditioner ($9.00)
- Eden Bodyworks*: Peppermint Tea Tree Natural Shampoo ($2.31)
- Love Beauty and Planet*: Coconut Milk & White Jasmine Hairspray ($6.99)
- Mane Choice*:Â Pink Lemonade & Coconut Super Antioxidant & Texture Beautifier ShampooÂ ($13.99)
- Mane Choice*: Pink Lemonade & Coconut Super Antioxidant & Texture Beautifier ConditionerÂ ($13.99)
- SheaMoisture:Â Rehydration Treatment Masque ($13.49)
- *TXTR by Cantu*:Â Â Strengthen & Restore Moisture Mask ($9.99)
- Lime Crime*:Â Diamond Crushers Iridescent Lip Topper in Angel’s Breath ($20.00)*This particular shade appears to be discontinued
- Lip Bar*: Lip Gloss in Party Girl ($14.00)
- L’OREAL:Â Lash Paradise Mascara ($6.99)
- Pixi by Petra: Endless Silky Eye Pen in Matte Mulberry ($12.00)
- *POP Beauty*: Kajal Pencil in Inky Purple ($6.00)
- The Balm*:Â The BalmJour Creamy Lip Stain in Ni Hao! ($14.00)
- Amlactin: Rapid Relief Restoring Lotion Mini ($3.72)
- Bioderma: Sensibio H20 Micellar Water ($9.90)
- CoTz: Prime and Protect Tinted Sunscreen – SPF 40 ($8.86)
- Dove:Â Body Wash Mousse with Rose Oil ($5.99)
- Palmer’sÂ Cocoa Butter: Daily Skin Therapy Solid Jar Mini ($1.17)
- Pond’s:Â Cold Cream Facial Cleansing Balm Makeup Remover ($9.99)
- Raw Sugar:Â Â Coconut + Mango Natural Lip Balm ($4.99)
- Sol de Janeiro: Coco Cabana Cream Deluxe SampleÂ x 2 ($13.33)
- Sol de Janeiro: Bum Bum Cream Deluxe Sample Â ($6.67)
- When*: Youth Recharger for Neck Bio-Cellulous Sheet Mask ($10.00)
- When*: 10:00 PM Premium Bio-Cellulose Sheet Mask ($7.00)
- KISS:Â Lash CoutureTriple Push Up Collection in Bustier ($6.99)
- Love Beauty and Home:Â Lavender & Argan Oil Multipurpose Cleaner Spray ($3.99)
- Lumify*:Â Redness Reliever Eye DropsÂ ($11.99)
- Queen V*:Â UTMI Women’s UTI Prevention ($15.00)
Total Bag Value: $271.34
Total Bag Value (of items I’m keeping): $109.06
Any item with an asterisk was either be given to a family member or friend, sold, or added to an upcoming giveaway.
As evident from the above, the value of this bag is barely what it was advertised. Moreover, when considering all the items I plan to declutter, the bag is worth far less than advertised. In fact, there are a few items that I’m still on the fence about, too. Therefore, it’s highly likely that this bag will actually be worth more like $100.
The below products are items that I received with purchase OR in exchange for a marketing/PR tradeoff (i.e. posting a photo to Instagram with a certain hashtag or providing my email address, etc).
- DNA Hairtool: Argan Shampoo ($45.00)
- DNA Hairtool: Argan Conditioner ($45.00)
- Love Beauty and Planet:Â Â Coconut Milk & White Jasmine Shampoo ($6.89)
- Sally’s Beauty*:Â Ion – Starter Hair Color Kit ($10.49)
- Sally’s Beauty*:Â Wella – Color Charm Paints Semi Permanent Hair Color in Light Pink ($5.99)
- Sally’s Beauty*:Â Wella – Color Charm Painting Balayage Developer ($1.49)
- Sally’s Beauty*:Â Wella – Painting Balayage Lightner Packet ($5.49)
- Sexy Hair:Â Â Fun Sexy Hair Bling It On Glitter Hairspray in 24 Karat (TBD)
- SheaMoisture*:Â Manuka Honey and Yogurt Hydrate + Repair Split End Balm ($9.99)
- CVS Health:Â *The Creme Shop – Brightest Crayon in the Box (Cream Highlight) in Gold Star ($10.00, CF)
- CVS Health:Â Peripera – Cushion Tint Pang in Celeb Coral Â ($17.99)
- Joah:Â Make Her Gel-Ous Gel Liner in Pearl BrownÂ ($8.50)
- KISS:Â ImPRESS Nails Press-On Manicure in One Shine Day ($7.99)
- L’OREAL*:Â Rouge Signature, Lasting Matte Liquid Lipstick in I Create ($11.99)
- Maybelline:Â Tattoo Studio Brow Tint Pen ($7.99)
- Pixi by Petra: Endless Silky Eye Pen in MatteKhaki ($12.00)
- Pixi by Petra: Matte Lustre Lipstick in Petal PinkÂ ($12.00)
- Pixi by Petra*: Mesmerizing Mineral Duo in Orchid OrnamentÂ (Promo Product Only)
- Revlon: Photoready Insta-Filter Foundation in 200 Nude ($17.99)
- Revlon*: Ultra HD Matte Lip Mousse in Death Valley ($9.99)
- Rimmel*:Â Maxi Blush in Third Base ($4.28)
- Violet Voss*:Â Liquid Lipstick in Paisley ($20.00)
- Zoey Sweet*:Â Eyeshadow Single in Rose’ (Unknown)
- Clean & Clear:Â Blackhead Eraser Scrubby Pore Strip ($6.67)
- CVS Health:Neutrogena – Â Hydro Boost Hydrating Overnight Gel Mask ($3.49)
- Mugler*:Â Eau de Toilette Angle Sample
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter:Â Daily Skin Therapy Solid Jar Mini ($1.17)
- Patchology: FlashMasque Hydrate 5 Minute Sheet Mask ($8.00)
- Patchology:Â moodpatch Perk Up Eye Gels ($3.00)
- Raw Sugar: Pineapple + Maqui Berry + Coconut Natural Lip Balm ($4.99)
- Raw Sugar: Raw Coconut + Mango Simply Body Wash Deluxe Sample ($0.96)
- Raw Sugar: Raw Coconut + Mango Lip Scrub Deluxe Sample
- Sol de Janeiro: Bum Bum Cream Deluxe Sample x 2Â ($6.67)
- Sol de Janeiro: Coco Cabana Cream Deluxe Sample x 2Â ($6.67)
Total Value: $313.22
Similarly to some of the items in the 2019 Beautycon Hauler Bag items, some of most freebies will be given to family or friends, sold or added to my upcoming giveaway.
The below products are items that I purchased at the event. I’ve never tried any of the below products, but could not resist the chance to try these products at such a good discount.
Disclaimer: This portion of the post may contain affiliate links (*). If you purchase by clicking on my links, I may be compensated at no additional cost to you.
1. Clean & Clear |Â Lemon Zesty Scrub ($5.99)
I purchased the Clean & Clear Lemon Zesty Scrub to receive the free product with purchase (Blackhead Eraser Scrubby Pore Strip). When I was younger, I always loved Clean & Clear’s skin products. They are super effective at cleaning acne-prone skin. Therefore, I was pleased to pick up this goodie. Also, Clean and Clear definitely win the award for cutest packaging.
Edit: this caused my skin to breakout so I decluttered this scrub.
2. DNA Hairtools |Â Pink Thermal Brush ($350.00)
The DNA Hairtools Thermal Brush was on my mind since I tested one at Beautycon LA 2018. Like everything else on this list, I purchased this at a discount $200 discount. Also, I received a free full-sized shampoo and conditioner.
[2020 Edit: In hindsight, this purchase was a huge waste of money. In fact, neither the brush nor the hair products are worth the price advertised. However, I used up the hair products and still own this brush.]
3. Jouer | Skinny Dip Ultra Foil Shimmer Shadows Palette ($40.00, CF) – now discontinued
The Skinny Dip Ultra Foil Shimmer Shadow Palette was a limited edition release from Jouer. I was sad to miss it during its initial launch. To my surprise, Jouer sold this palette for $7.00 at the event!!! BEST DEAL of the event.
Edit: I never reach for this palette so it was decluttered.
4. MODA Brushes |Â Synthetic Eyeshadow Brushes ($29.95)
I’m always on the hunt for eyeshadow brushes. I find it helpful to have backup brushes on-hand for when I don’t have time to wash my dirty brushes. Therefore, I grabbed four blue brushes and received one brush for free.
- Pointed Liner Brush ($4.99)
- Crease Brush ($5.99)
- Flat Eye Fluff Brush ($5.99)
- Domed Shadow BrushÂ ($6.99)
- *FREE* Precision Angle Brush ($5.99)
5. Pixi by PetraÂ | Face Mists & Glitter-Y Quad ($44.00, CF)
Y’all – Pixi had one of the longest lines at Beautycon. No only was the brand offering great freebies, but Pixi offered a 20% discount on a variety of products. Unfortunately for me, the brand ran out of nearly everything I wanted to try.Â Thankfully, Pixi extended the discount to Beautycon attendees online!
I tested out some Pixi skincare earlier this year. However, I wanted to try a few more things from the brand.Â On Monday, I ordered:
Edit: the Glitter-Y Quad was decluttered
6. Rude Cosmetics | Whatever Forever Palette ($18.00)
I’ve been wanting to try the Whatever Forever Palette from Rude Cosmetics since I watched Smokey Glow’s Tutorial Tuesday featuring this 90s-themed palette. Therefore, I couldn’t resist grabbing this palette for $10.00!
Edit: I decluttered this palette because I never reached for it
7. Sol de Janeiro | Glowmotions in Rio Sunset ($35.00, CF) and Brazilian Crush Body Fragrance Mist ($32.00, CF)
I longed to try Sol de Janeiro for years. However, I never pulled the trigger due to the steep price tag. As soon as I realized that Sol de Janeiro offered 25% off to Beautycon attendees, my credit card flew out of my wallet.
VERB | Ghost Oil, Ghost Dry Oil & Sea Texture Spray ($48.00, CF)
VERB is a super cool, indie haircare brand sold at Sephora. I tried their Leave-In Mist, but wanted to try more from the brand. They offered a 3 for $36 deal at Beautycon.
Violet Voss | Sugar Crystals Palette ($42.00, CF)
I never thought I’d purchase from Violet Voss. In fact, I viewed them in a similar lens as Morphe. However, I’ve heard good things about the Violet Voss formula. Also, I was impressed by the products when I swatched them.
Zoey Sweet | Lash Holder & Eyelashes ($12.00)
I see these little lash tins in so many makeup collection videos. They seemed so handy! This brand is supposed to be launching at Target soon.
Total Value: $644.94
Total Cost: $365.94 (~43% savings)
Final Thoughts the 2019 Beautycon NYC Hauler Bag & my Purchases
During Beautycon NYC I basically blacked out and went purchase-crazy. In fact, I’m not proud of it. However, my life feels so difficult lately. To be honest, my purchases have been my escape from reality.
Overall, the 2019 Beautycon NYC Hauler Bag was disappointing given that there was little to no makeup. Also, many of the hair products that were included aren’t really meant for my hair type. Moreover, in comparison to last year’s bag (which was worth $650+), this year’s bag was a huge letdown.
HOWEVER, many of the exhibiting brands stepped up their game this year by offering some killer samples and full-sized products. For example, Sally’s Beauty, CVS Health, and Revlon offered the best samples.
I will share another post regarding my time at Beautycon NYC 2019. However, I wanted to get this post up first. Overall, my feelings on this year’s convention are quite mixed. Also, I’ll follow up with reviews on many of these goodies in future posts.
If you enjoyed my Beautycon NYC Hauler Bag recap, see what I snagged last year at Beautycon LA 2018. Check out this post on the LA Hauler Bag, my Beautycon LA Purchases, and my Beautycon LA 2018 Experience.
What do you think of the 2019 Beautycon NYC Hauler Bag? Also, is there anything I received that you think I need to keep? Please let me know in the comments below.0