Similarly to last year, my goal in 2018 was to use up or move out 20% of the beauty collection that I had at the start of the year. Although I surpassed my goal in 2017, I did not make my Beauty Empties 2018 goal more challenging. I was nervous about finishing a large percentage of products for the following reasons:
- I finished nearly all of the easy-to-pan deluxe size samples from my Sephora Play! subscription last year (excluding haircare)
- I was not intending to do another no-buy in 2018
- I do not wear makeup on a daily basis anymore (I focus more on skincare).
Last Year’s Empties Totals
Compared to last year, I have used up or moved out less product. As of June 30th last year, 112 products were moved out of my collection:
- 58 items were completely used
- 22 items were decluttered or lost (decluttered items were typically expired)
- 23 items were given to friends or donated
- 3 items were sold on Poshmark
- 6 items were returned
This Year’s Goals
As of June 30th, 2018, I have moved out only 96 products – a considerable decrease from last year. However, as of this writing, I have already surpassed my yearly goal as I’ve moved out 50% of the products that I had at the start of the year.
- 46 products were completely used
- 25 products were decluttered
- 10 items were sold or are actively listed on Poshmark
- 15 items were given to friends or donated
- No items were returned
To keep me motivated, I am upping my year-long goal to 75% of the number of products that I had at the start of the year – 144 items. This goal is ambitious and if I’m being honest, I don’t really know if it will be possible for me to hit this. However, I want to try.
Please see the below for the full list of items I used up during the first half of 2018.
Mid-Year Beauty Empties 2018:
- First Aid Beauty – Eye Duty Triple Remedy AM Gel Cream
- Peter Thomas Roth – Water Drench Moisturizer
- Dr. Jart – Ceremidin Gel Cream
- Avenue Daily Moisturizing Lotion – Travel Size
- Lubriderm – Moisturizer – Travel Size
- Lubriderm – Daily Moisture Lotion for Normal to Dry Skin
- Algenist – SUBLIME DEFENSE Ultra Lightweight UV Sunscreen SPF 50
- Coppertone – Clearly Sheer SPF 50 Sunscreen
- Josie Maran -100% Pure Argan Oil
- Kiehl’s – Midnight Recovery Oil – Deluxe Sample
- Boscia – Hydration Essence
- Boscia – Deep Hydration Sleeping Mask
- Beauty Counter – N. 3 Balancing Face Mask Deluxe Sample
- Origins – Clear Improvements Active Charcoal Mask
- Origins – Original Skin Retexturizing Mask Mini
- Origins – GinZing Refreshing Scrub
- Fresh – Soy Face Cleanser
- Glamglow – Poutmud Fizzy Lip Exfoliating Treatment
- LUSH – Daddy-O Shampoo (16.9 fl. oz)
- LUSH – Daddy-O Shampoo (8.4 fl. oz)
- LUSH – I Love Juicy Shampoo (16.9 fl. oz)
- LUSH – (4) Jumping Juniper Shampoo Bars
- NOTE: One bar was close to being finished at the start of the year and another was finished far quicker than it should have been because my sister left it soaking in water overnight
- Loma – Moisturizing Shampoo
- Peter Thomas Roth – Mega Rich Shampoo (Travel Size)
- Loma – Moisturizing Conditioner
- LUSH – Retread Conditioner
- Peter Thomas Roth – Mega Rich Conditioner (Travel Size)
- RenPure – Co-Wash (coconut)
- Bumble & Bumble – BB, Don’t Blow It Deluxe Mini
- Moroccan Oil – Moroccan Oil Treatment Deluxe Mini
- Verb – Leave-In Mist
- Living Proof – Perfect Hair Day Over Night Styling Protector
*Disclaimer: I had started most of the LUSH haircare items before the start of the year, so I did not “over-use” the products just to finish them. Also, I wash my hair daily due to a sensitive scalp so I am very thorough in washing my hair.
- Aquaphor – (2) Healing Ointment (Chapstick)
- Glamglow – Poutmud Wet Lip Balm
- Chapstick – Gingerbread Kiss Chapstick
- Buxom – Full-on Lip Polish (Dolly)
- Urban Decay – 24/7 Glide on Lip Pencil in Plushe
- Sephora – Contour Eye Pencil 24 Hour Wear Mini in 33 Love Affair
- Kat Von D – Tattoo Liner Mini
- Make Up For Ever – Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer (Travel Size)
- Urban Decay – Naked Skin Foundation (1.5 Fair Bisque)
- Laura Mercier – Translucent Setting Powder
- Laura Mercier – Secret Brightening Powder Mini
Over the next few weeks, I will be providing mini-reviews of each of these products. Although I was more successful last year, I am still very pleased with my progress so far.
Please note, that I always calculate my progress based off a stable base number, the number of products that I own at the end of the year. Although this might seem strange, I find that there is less room for error when I use this method and it keeps me focused on reducing my collection without making me feel self-conscious when I do make an occasional purchase.
Beyond my beauty empties 2018 roundups, I am trying to a Pan That Palette 2018 challenge. Check out the introduction here.
What did you think about my mid-year beauty empties 2018 roundup? What products did you finish up so far this year? What are your tips for finishing products without being wasteful? Please let me know in the comments below.