Although I love the spirit of gift giving that the holidays bring, I hate the inevitable clutter that comes along with receiving gifts. To deal with the excess, I end up spending a ton of time decluttering. In today’s post, I’ll be sharing 19 useless things to declutter from your wardrobe before the end of the year.
Although cleaning is often a therapeutic task for me, I am growing tired of wasting so much valuable time decluttering. What is the point in reorganizing my clutter just to make room for more things?
Why is it Time to Declutter?
According to the Daily Mail, we’ll spend an average of 3,680 hours searching or 153 days searching for lost items. On average, we lose about 9 items a day (198,743 items in a lifetime)! If we spend this much time looking for lost items, how much more time do we spend cleaning?
Too often, we look at what we own with dissatisfaction, but somehow, we can’t seem to part with anything. It’s the ever-present dilemma to have a closet full of clothing, but nothing to wear. Here is a bevy of excuses we tell ourselves when we just can’t bear to part with something:
- I’ll NEED it someday
- I’m going to fix it
- I’m a collector
- I spent a lot of money on this
- This will be worth money someday
- This was a gift
- This holds sentimental value
This season, I’m tossing these excuses to the wayside and I’m breaking the cycle. No more keeping things out of fear. I want to own things that I love – things that spark joy when I look at them.
Keep reading for 19 things to declutter from your wardrobe before the end of the year.
Basic Things to Declutter from Your Wardrobe
- Pajamas that make you feel frumpy
- Old bras and undergarments that don’t fit right
- Shirts, sweaters, or pants with holes, tears, or stains that cannot be mended
- Socks with holes that can’t be mended
- Tights or nylons with tears
- Camisoles or under shirts that haven’t worn in years
- “Do nothing” pants or shirts for “wearing “around the house” that you know you wear out of the house
- Workout pants that are too long, too tight, or too big
- Pieces you haven’t worn in over a year!
Specialty Things to Declutter from Your Wardrobe
- Skinny jeans or tops that you’d wear if you could “just lose 5 pounds”
- Fancy pieces you keep just for ‘the ‘Gram’ but hate wearing in real life
- That special occasion dress you’ve worn once, but keep “just in case”
- Ill-filling pantsuits you keep for a potential interview
Accessory Things to Declutter from Your Wardrobe
- High heels that hurt you feet
- Dirty or worn out sneakers
- Dress or pant belts
- Winter hats or caps that I haven’t worn in years
- Purses, wallets, or tote bags that you haven’t used over a year
- Old backpacks or laptop bags that look dated
Final Thoughts on the 19 Useless Things to Declutter from Your Wardobe
If it wasn’t apparent from the above list, don’t hold on to items that make you feel less confident. Additionally, don’t hold onto items that don’t allow you to put your best self forward.
Too often we hoard items that we don’t use because we feel a sense of sentimental attachment. Don’t keep things just for the sake of keeping them.
True sentimental items are worth saving, but not everything that seems sentimental is worth saving.
What items are you decluttering from your closet before 2019? I’d love to know in the comments below!0