If I’m being honest, I haven’t been checking for Smashbox Cosmetic’s new releases in a while, but have always heard great things about the brand’s line of face and cheek products. I was thrilled to receive the Smashbox Photo Finish Oil & Shine Control Primer and Long Lasting Setting Spray over the summer from Smashbox and Influenster complimentary for testing purposes.
In today’s post, we will explore whether the Smashbox Photo Finish Oil & Shine Control Primer and Setting Spray are worth the hefty price tag and if these two products will actually work for oily skin. Do the Smashbox primers and setting spray really helps makeup to last longer on oily skin? Keep reading to find out more.
What is the Smashbox brand all about?
Did you know that the Smashbox line of cosmetics originated from the iconic Smashbox Studios in Los Angeles, California? Founded by Dean and Davis Factor, the great-grandsons of the iconic Hollywood makeup artist, Max Factor, in 1991, Smashbox Studios was a hub for photographers and artists in Los Angeles.
In 1996, Dean and Davis launched Smashbox Cosmetics, with the goal of creating high-quality makeup products that would pop behind the camera lens. Smashbox is all about celebrating your unique beauty. From a product standpoint, Smashbox is most well-known for its extensive line of primers and lipsticks.
Photo Finish Primer & Setting Spray Claims
- Photo Finish Oil & Shine Control Primer Product Claims: Promises to be a transformative face primer that controls oil and shine throughout the day with a silky, cloud-like, matte finish to help makeup look better longer. This primer claims to be healthy for the skin due to its inclusion of Witch Hazel, Salicylic Acid, and Zinc.
- Photo Finish Long Lasting Setting Spray Claims: Promises to be a weightless setting spray that makes makeup transfer-proof and improves its wear for up to 16 hours with a comfortable, non-sticky, non-greasy feel. This spray promises to be suitable for all skin types and is dermatologist-tested
Product Packaging & Price
- The Photo Finish Oil & Shine Control Primer comes in a light, sky blue squeeze tube with black text and details. A tube consists of one fluid ounce ( 30 mL) of primer, which is standard for base products. This primer retails for $39.00 USD.
- The Photo Finish Long Lasting Setting Spray comes in a silver-gray plastic spray bottle with black lettering and details. A tube contains 3.9 fluid ounces (116 mL) of setting spray and retails for $32.00 USD. Note: on the Smashbox website this product is referred to as the Weightless Setting Spray.
Ingredients and Cruelty-Free Status
- All Smashbox products are 100% Cruelty-Free, which means they are not tested on animals; however, the brand is owned by Estee Lauder (who permits for 3rd Party animal testing on brands sold in China).
- The Photo Finish Oil & Shine Control Primer is formulated without SLS, SLES, parabens, formaldehyde, formaldehyde-releasing agents, phthalates, mineral oil, hydroquinone, triclosan, and triclocarban, and contains less than one percent of synthetic fragrances. This primer contains healthy skin ingredients: Witch Hazel, Salicylic Acid, and Zinc
- The Photo Finish Long Lasting/Weightless Setting Spray is formulated without SLS and SLES, parabens, formaldehyde, formaldehyde-releasing agents, phthalates, mineral oil, retinyl palmitate, coal tar, hydroquinone, triclosan, and triclocarban. In addition to being Cruelty-Free, this product is Vegan.
Primer Application & Wear-Time
For the best primer application, I squeeze a small amount of the primer into the palms of my hands and gently rub the product between my two hands. Then, I gently press the primer over-top my prepped, moisturized skin. If needed, I may add a pore-filling primer on my cheeks or additional primer where I feel is needed. I let this sit for 30 seconds before applying any foundation.
I was SHOCKED at how much I love this primer. It truly does live up to the claims of providing wearers with a cloud-like, soft matte finish that keeps oil and shine at bay throughout the day. Whenever I use this primer, I see a noticeable difference in how my foundation wears throughout the day. Most importantly, although this keeps my foundation and base products in place, it doesn’t give me an overly flat or dry, cakey appearance to the skin.
In full transparency, I always set my face with a powder and setting spray. When using this primer, I don’t need to blot my skin until the 10-hour mark, which is fantastic!
Setting Spray Application & Wear-Time
For the best setting spray application, I shake the bottle and generously spray my face. In my mind, the Long Lasting Setting Spray is like the child of my two holy grail setting Sprays, the Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Setting Spray and the MAC Cosmetics Fix-Plus. How so? This super lightweight, fine mist helps to breathe life back into the skin similarly to Fix-Plus but locks makeup into place like the Urban Decay All Nighter Spray… but without the chunky globs.
This Spray does keep my makeup in place for a full day out of the house, especially when paired with a mattifying primer and setting spray. Similarly to the Photo Finish Primer, I will still need to blot my skin around the 10-hour mark of wear-time, but this is fantastic given how oily my skin is!
Where can you Buy the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer & Setting Spray?
Final Thoughts on the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer & Setting Spray
All-in-all, I was blown away by how much I loved these two base products from Smashbox. I’ve had to force myself to reach for my other primers and setting sprays since receiving these products in July. Although they are rather expensive, they hold up well to their promised claims, so I whole-heartedly recommend these to any oily-skinned guys or gals looking to keep oil and shine at bay throughout the day.
In the US, retailers like Sephora and Ulta constantly offer generous sales, so if the price is a deterrent, I recommend waiting until a sale period to pick these up.
Also, for full discloser, I was not prompted in any way to write this review as a blog post was not a requirement for my Influenster campaign. I decided to write this post after realizing how much I loved these products. Knowing how frustrating it can be for us oily-skinned individuals to keep makeup in place, I wanted to share these finds.
Have you tried anything from the Smashbox Photo Finish line? What is your favorite setting spray or primer? Please let me know in the comments below.